Providers of Energy Performance Certificates in the South East

Specialists in Domestic and Commercial EPCs


Who needs a commercial EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

Any body who wishes to sell or let any part of a non-dwelling which falls within the description below will require an EPC.  If the tenancy period for a tenant is extended without a cessation of that tenancy then no EPC is required.

Description of commercial buildings requiring an EPC.

Buildings with a roof and walls that use energy to condition the indoor climate of the building by heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation.

Exceptions which may not require an EPC.

  • A building which is not complete but an EPC will be required when complete.
  • A place of worship.
  • Stand-alone buildings with a total useful floor space of less than 50m².
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential, agricultural buildings with low energy demand.
  • Temporary buildings with a planned life of less than 2 years.
  • Buildings due for demolition.
  • Lease renewals or extensions to existing tenants.
  • Compulsory purchase orders.
  • Lease surrenders.

Who can provide an EPC

EPCs can only be provided by Energy Assessors who are appropriately trained and accredited.  Accreditation by an approved body ensures that the assessor is appropriately trained, has been checked for a criminal record with the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) or a similarly approved body and has appropriate insurance.  It is only such accredited assessors who have access to the national computer system permitting them to lodge energy assessments and produce EPCs.

Home Inspectors Southern assessors are trained by BRE (Building Research Establishment) in conjunction with UWE (The University of the West of England), are accredited by BRE Global and carry photo ID provided by BRE Global, available for inspection at any time.

Multiple tenancies and small commercial / domestic mix

(A selection of common arrangements for smaller commercial premises – for more complex configurations, please contact us)
When selling or letting part of a building which has a heating system in common with the rest of the building then an EPC can be produced for the whole building and made available to the commercial sub-lessee/tenant.

When selling or letting part of a building which has it’s own heating system then a seperate EPC should be prepared for that area.  There should also be a seperate EPC for any conditioned, communal areas that are provided for access to that area and may include the rest of the building.

When selling or letting a shop with dwellings above, if the dwellings have their own seperate access then each dwelling should have it’s own domestic EPC (communal areas excluded) and the shop should have it’s own commercial EPC (communal areas excluded) even if they enjoy a common heating system.

When selling or letting a shop with accomodation above which only has access via the shop then a single, commercial EPC should be prepared.

When selling or letting a whole building a single EPC can be produced even if some areas within the building have their own heating systems.  If there is a common heating system then the EPC can subsequently be used for any part of that building.

Penalties for not making an EPC available.

The penalty for not making an EPC available to a prospective purchaser or tenant when selling or letting a commercial premises is fixed.  In most cases the penalty is fixed at 12.5% of the rateable value of the premises (minimum £500 and maximum £5,000).  Default penalty of £750 if the formula can not be applied.  An EPC will still be required.


  • Since 1 October 2008 all commercial premises (exceptions as above) have required an EPC if on the market for sale or rent.
  • Rented properties require an EPC the first time that they are re-let, the tenancy changes or the property is to be sold.
  • EPCs are valid for 10 years or until superseded.
  • Commercial & Domestic with common heating, a single commercial EPC can be used.
  • Selling/Letting part of building with own heating, seperate EPC for that area + EPC for common parts giving access.
  • Selling/Letting whole building (with areas having own heating system), a single EPC can be used.  If heating system common then that EPC can be used for any part of the building.
  • Commercial building with dwelling which has it’s own entrance then dwelling should have it’s own domestic EPC even if heating shared with commercial premises.
  • Commercial building with dwelling which is accessed via commercial premises, a single commercial EPC should be used.

Request a commercial quotation