Providers of Energy Performance Certificates in the South East

Specialists in Domestic and Commercial EPCs


Who needs a domestic EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

Owners of houses, flats or maisonettes on the market for sale or rent require an EPC (the only exception being a property due for demolition. (It must be demonstrated that the dwelling is suitable for demolition, that the resulting site would be suitable for redevelopment and that all necessary permissions are in place for both the demolition and the redevelopment.)

The requirement for an EPC was phased in through 2007 and 2008 but property on the market prior to the requirement was exempt until October 2008.  Now all domestic property including that which had previously been exempt is liable for an EPC. 

Domestic EPCs for the sale of a dwelling are valid for a period of three years.

If a property is placed on the market with a valid EPC (less than three years old at the point of first marketing) but expires during marketing, then that EPC remains valid until the property is sold or removed from the marketplace.  If the property is removed from the marketplace and the EPC is more than three years old then a new EPC will be required if the property is returned to the market.

Who can provide an EPC

EPCs can only be provided by Energy Assessors who are appropriately trained and accredited.  Accreditation by an approved body ensures that the assessor is appropriately trained, has been checked for a criminal record with the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) or a similarly approved body and has appropriate insurance.  It is only such accredited assessors who have access to the national computer system permitting them to lodge energy assessments and produce EPCs.

Home Inspectors Southern assessors are trained by BRE (Building Research Establishment) in conjunction with UWE (The University of the West of England) and are accredited by BRE Global, carrying photo ID provided by BRE Global, available for inspection at any time.

What is involved in carrying out an energy assessment

The energy assessor will need to carry out a thorough but non-intrusive inspection of the property and make notes.  This will include an inspection of the loft space (if appropriate) and photographs of key elements like the boiler and it's controls.  These photographs are simply archived on computer to ensure accurate responses to any enquiries that may be made at a later date.  All data is treated as confidential and only the data necessary to complete the EPC will be placed in the public domain.

This process will normally take between 20 and 60 minutes dependent upon the size and complexity of the property.


  • Since 1 October 2008 all dwellings require an EPC if on the market for sale or rent (unless due to be demolished).
  • Rented properties require an EPC when the tenancy changes or the property is sold.
  • Dwellings exempt from requiring a HIP prior to 1st October 2008 will now require an EPC from 1st October 2008 but remain exempt from a HIP, provided that they have remained on the market continuously.
  • EPCs for sale are valid for 3 years even if produced prior to 1 October 2008 (prior to 1 October 2008 they were valid for 1 year).
  • EPCs for rental are valid for 10 years but if used for the sale of that property, 3 years.
  • If an EPC expires whilst the property is on the market for sale then the EPC is deemed valid until the property is sold or removed from the market.
  • The seller (vendor) or landlord is the ‘relevant person’ and is therefore responsible for making an EPC available.  The seller or landlord is liable to a penalty charge if an EPC is not made available, not the agent.
  • The most recent EPC is the only valid EPC.

Request a domestic quotation